Aggregate is a broad term used to describe any granular material used in construction.
It is typically made up of crushed stone, sand, or gravel, and it is used in a variety of applications, including concrete, asphalt, and mortar.
It is important in construction because it provides strength, durability, and workability to materials. They also help to reduce the amount of cement and water that is needed, which can save money and resources.
There are many different types available, each with their own unique properties. Some of the most common types of aggregates include:
- Crushed stone: This is the most common type of aggregate, and it is made by crushing rocks into smaller pieces. Crushed stone is used in a variety of applications, including concrete, asphalt, and mortar.
- Sand: Sand is made up of small, loose particles of rock or mineral. It is used in concrete, mortar, and grout.
- Gravel: Gravel is made up of larger pieces of rock or mineral than sand. It is used in concrete, asphalt, and road base.
When choosing the right aggregate for a construction project, it is important to consider the specific needs of the project. The type of material used will affect the strength, durability, and workability of the final product.
Here are some of the benefits of using aggregates in construction:
- Strength – Give added strength to concrete, asphalt, and mortar. This is because they help to fill in the gaps between the smaller particles of cement and sand.
- Durability – They make concrete, asphalt, and mortar more durable. This is because they are resistant to weathering and erosion.
- Workability – Make concrete, asphalt, and mortar easier to work with. This is because they help to improve the flow and consistency of the materials.
Aggregates are an essential part of construction. They provide strength, durability, and workability to materials, which makes them essential for a variety of applications.
Check out these additional facts:
- The UK aggregates market is worth around £2 billion per year.
- The UK is the largest producer in Europe, producing around 200 million tonnes per year.
- The most common type used in the UK is crushed rock, which accounts for around 80% of all aggregates used.
- Other types used in the UK include sand, gravel, and recycled aggregates.
- Aggregates are used in a wide variety of construction projects, including roads, buildings, and bridges.
Aggregates are a versatile and important material that is used in a variety of construction applications.
They provide strength, durability, and workability to materials, which makes them essential for a variety of projects.
At Sansums, we provide a range of building aggregates and gravel to help you with your construction project.
Check out our range and discover more